How Much Is a Serving?
Correct portions will make or break your weight loss goals! If you’re wondering how much is a serving of fruit, what are correct portions of pasta, or how much protein should you eat at one time, refer to this handy nutrition list:
- A serving of meat, fish, or scrambled eggs is 3-4 ounces, which is about as big as a deck of cards.
- A serving of rice or pasta is 1/2 cup, which takes up as much space as a standard incandescent light bulb.
- A serving of cereal is 1 cup, which is about as big as a baseball.
- A serving of nuts is 1/4 cup, which is about as big as a golf ball.
- 1 oz of deli meat is about as big and thick as a CD.
- A serving of cheese is 1.5 oz = three large dice.
- A serving of ice cream or frozen yogurt is 1/2 cup = light bulb.
- A serving of fresh yogurt is 8oz, the standard yogurt container.
- A serving of potato (mashed or baked) is about as big as a computer mouse.
- A serving of dried fruit (raisins, dates, etc) is 1/4 cup = golf ball.
- A serving of berries or grapes is 1 cup = baseball.
- A serving of mayonnaise or butter is 1 teaspoon, about as much as a thick poker chip.
- A serving of biscuit or muffin is 2oz, about the size of a hockey puck. This means that most commercial muffins are 2-4 servings each.
Click here to download a PDF printout of some good How Much Is A Serving examples.
You don’t have to do it alone! Call us at (615) 442-7700 and tell us how we can help you with nutrition counseling.